April 22, 2016 is the First National Women’s Health Day.
In Rome, ten thematic tables will be held at the Aranciera di San Sisto, and each will address an aspect of women’s health.
There will also be the Sexuality, Fertility and Maternal Health table, to which CiaoLapo wishes to send some requests, important for the health of women, mothers and their families.
Beatrice Lorenzin, current Minister of Health, asked the townspeople to actively participate in the ten discussion tables on women’s health, by sending questions and reflections via the web. We could not leave this request unheard, and here are our 10 proposals, which we ask you to share as much as possible on your pages, on your channels, using the hashtags chosen by the Ministry # SD16 #MAMS # fertility #mentalhealth adding #CiaoLapo and some or all the hashtags mentioned at the bottom of the article.
The social channels to use are these ( twitter and facebook ), the complete program of the day can be downloaded here .
To find out more, visit the website .
In Italy, 1 in six pregnancies unfortunately ends with a loss: every year about 150,000 women have to face this event, too often without any support, and too often suffering serious consequences, in terms of psychophysical health.
This decalogue concerns thousands of families. It is important that it is read, understood and discussed, it is important that these changes are implemented. The two monographic series of The Lancet on stillbirth (2011 and 2016 ), in which CiaoLapo participated as the only Italian reality, they showed us that for every life saved, a country gets a quadruple gain : survival and health of the woman, of the child in utero, of the newborn and better psychophysical development of the child, with a consequent better overall well-being of the family. This has important repercussions in terms of “savings” in health and welfare expenditure of the state. Hence, good care for pregnant women really pays off for everyone.
We therefore ask Minister Lorenzin and the Table of Experts in Sexuality, Fertility and Maternal Health to invest in maternal and child health, even in that of the 150,000 women who face a loss every year in order to obtain quadruple earnings in Italy as well.
We have already been working on this for 10 years.
The ten points for Italian women and families promoted by CiaoLapo Onlus.
- Application of the Ministerial Guidelines on stillbirths published in 2008 in all Italian birth centers;
- Adequate psychological and adequate support relational skills by each member of the care team at all birth points, for all women and their companions, regardless of the type of pregnancy (just begun or term), birth (vaginal, cesarean, preterm or term, abortive or physiological) , of outcome (child born alive or stillborn);
- Adequate training for all members of the treating team to offer effective support in all critical cases (perinatal death, unfortunate diagnosis, fetal pathology, fetal death, abortion, infertility), in compliance with the International Guidelines (for further information, consult the two monographic issues on stillbirth Lancet 2011 and 2016);
- Adequate support for the team through audits and debriefing sessions after adverse events in the delivery room or in the NICU to improve
interpersonal skills of the individual and the caring group, to update their training on communication and the helping relationship and reduce the load of stress and the risk of Burnout ;
- Adequate follow-up of all pregnancies both physiological and medium and high risk including those that ended with the death of the fetus or newborn, improving the network between hospital and territory in all Italian regions and working concretely to reduce the risk of postpartum depression or complicated bereavement, both in woman and partner (there is paternal postpartum depression, and it is often associated with maternal depression with very serious repercussions on the couple and children);
- Adequate monitoring and support for pregnancies following a perinatal loss , with attention to the psychological condition of the family, offering personalized support to the mother, stimulating her resources and respecting the physiology whenever possible;
- Education of the Italian population on avoidable and non-avoidable risk factors related to perinatal loss and promotion of lifestyle changes associated with bad outcome with specific information campaigns aimed at very young and young people;
- Recognition of October 15 as an international day of awareness and awareness on loss in pregnancy and after birth in order to facilitate the territorial network, the promotion of local resources through direct comparison and exchange between women, families, operators of the maternal and child area and institutions, as per bill promoted by CiaoLapo Onlus and presented for the first time in 2012;
- Establishment of a national database that collects all data on stillbirth (as already expressed in the model of the Ministerial Guidelines of 2008), so as to be able to increase and deepen knowledge of the phenomenon, evaluate all the associated factors and contribute to the correct classification of each individual case, in order to avoid recurrences in families at risk and to reach the statistical rate of 2 stillbirths out of 1000, as requested by the WHO, saving about 700 healthy children each year ;
- Establishment of a national map of centers of excellence for research, in-depth diagnostics and management of pregnancies after perinatal loss so as to allow each citizen to access the closest and most competent center according to national and international criteria to face the next pregnancy in the most careful and serene way possible.
For 10 years, the CiaoLapo Onlus Association has represented in Italy about 10,000 women affected by abortion, stillbirth and perinatal death. CiaoLapo protects them, their children, their companions, their families and the health workers who assist them, proposing itself as an interlocutor with the scientific and welfare realities, institutions and regulatory bodies to represent the voice of citizens and operators of the maternal and infant area in the global challenge to reduce the gap between our country and the most virtuous countries, to reduce the number of unfortunate events and to raise the standards of assistance.
If you share these 10 points, spread them through social networks using the official hashtags of the ministerial campaign.
hashtag: # SD16 #HelloLapo #MAMS #perinatal death #perinatal health #endingpreventablestillbirths